Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Perspective

Sundays are great, aren't they? There's a Craig Morgan song called "That's What I Love about Sunday." Here are two sections of the verse-chorus:

That's what I love about Sunday
Sing along as the choir sways
Every verse of "Amazing Grace"
And then we shake the preacher's hand
Go home into your blue jeans
Have some chicken and some baked beans
Pick a backyard football teamNot do much of anything
That's what I love about Sunday.../

That's what I love about Sunday
Cat napping on the porch swing
You curled up next to me
The smell of jasmine wakes us up
Take a walk down a back road
Tackle box and a cane pole
Carve our names in that white oak
I steal a kiss as the sun fades
That's what I love about Sunday

Admittedly, my Sundays don't have quite this Norman Rockwell's Saturday Evening Post, heartland-of-America sensibility, but I think most of us can relate to a day of rest and leisure.

This past Sunday after church, I had dimsum with Shui, Auggie, Alvin and some other Baptist friends. To put an Asian twist to what otherwise could have been a very Southern event, we substituted dimsum at Tian-Tian for "chicken and baked beans."

As we walked out, boba milk-tea in tow, I commented to Shui that he seems "alot easier to tolerate now [he's] a Christian. Praise Jesus!" We laughed, and in a more earnest tone I added, "No, really. I'm glad you're a believer now."

This comment was followed by Shui's response: "No, I think I'm still pretty difficult."

Reflecting on this a moment, I said thoughtfully, "Maybe you're right. Well, then I must just be more patient and tolerant of your insufferability now that I'm Christian."

1 comment:

Pamguin said...

it's called the grace of God, given as the fruit of the Spirit in patience, forebearance, longsuffering.

praise the Lord for all of you! I miss hanging out with the Baptist bunch!!!