Thursday, May 18, 2006

Gardening by Moonlight

This summer looks to be quite relaxed before I return to the brutal world of academia; I will not be working too muc--a nice change from the 50+ hrs I worked the last two weeks.

More free time means lots of GARDENING!!!! Carrots, tomatoes (cherry, yellow pear, Early Girl, Better Boy, Best Boy, Brandywine), eggplant (a white one called "Crescent Moon", and a soft-ball sized one called "Blue Marble"), zuccini (normal and the "roly poly"), pole green beans (Kentucky Blue and Fortex), bush green beans (two varieties), basil, pineapple sage, sunflowers, and sweet peas...

But I hate the sun. It is not the sun as an astrological body to which I object per se, but I am averse to being in the sun. I am averse to the increase of pigment in my skin. I am averse to melanoma. I am averse to heat. Hence, it looks like gardening by moonlight for me.

And gardening by moonlight, though more difficult occularly, is nice: looking at the garden while it sleeps is like watching one's somnulment child. All the day's hard work of training, serving, cleaning, the child are over, and one can watch him, peaceful slumber. Though the hours of toil may have been many, they seem more than compensated by even three silent minutes of peace and reflection. There is something intensely--yet quietly--satisfying about picking the first crop of green beans, then pausing a moment to watch the plants at rest, knowing that they are living, breathing, and bearing fruit to fulfill their destiny.

No comments: