Thursday, July 27, 2006

Chinese Potpourri

7:00 am
This is the first morning since we arrived in China that I slept through the night until my alarm beckoned me from rest. I attribute my sound slumber to my having taught in the morning yesterday, then doing foamie crafts in the afternoon—exhausting!

9:04 am
After beginning class this morning, Katie and I discover that many of the students have migrated out of their assigned seats to sit with their friends. While I am sure from their point of view this makes class more fun, from our point of view it impedes learning, so Katie is dispatched to rectify the situation. When asked to return to the previous day’s seat, Sam (who is among our funniest, and certainly our cutest) student protests, “No, I did sit here yesterday!” Laughing, Katie returns to me and says, “He thinks we’re stupid.” I see that Sam is wearing a very attractive Johnny-collar white shirt with broad, multi-toned green stripes; discontent in my heart ensues, and I resolve to buy a shirt like it later in the day.

12:37 pm
I spot a very large black butterfly, then a large light blue one. Reminds me of a Chinese song that was very popular when I was living in Beijing, "两只蝴蝶." (Translation of the title: "Two butterflies.")

12:46 pm
Ambulating through the streets of the town in search of my own striped green shirt, I spot a little girl running after her father, who was ahead of her by about 10 of his paces (or 20 of hers). Walking backwards to face his daughter, he smiles and beckons her. She sees him, grins widely, and with a certain alacrity in her eyes runs towards him. About half way into her journey, she is distracted by something else on the street (what it was I’m not sure), and takes her eyes off him and stands still to survey whatever has captured her gaze. I consider how like the little girl I am, when my Heavenly Father beckons me to walk more closely with Him: initially I smile and run toward Him who will bring me greatest delight; I am soon distracted by some lesser, passing thing that catches my eye; and then I stop running altogether to enjoy it.

1:00 pm
Find the first of two shirts that I will buy today. This one is only 25人民币, or $3! It’s a white Johnny collar with blue and green stripes. Great deal!

1:19 pm
Find the second of the shirts. This one is on a manikin, so the store manager must remove it for me. Light blue, and made to look like jersey material via tiny holes in the fabric; fun, summer print of a sunset and palm trees in dark blue and white print across the top. Close inspection of the small writing (“softly in a white jacket, spots splao,”) reveals that it is from China. At 40人民币 ($5), it’s not as good a deal as the first shirt. Still, I justify the purchase with the fact that it’s better looking, and composed of finer material.

6:27 pm
Hang out after dinner with my Chinese buddy Hong-dao and some other friends. Envious of his very cool hair, and amazing sudoku abilities, I resolve to be more like him. In the minds of those with more integrity, this would approach idolatry, but I dismiss these Puritanical notions. I notice that Hong-dao has neat, hairless armpits, and marvel that many Asian males are so hairless; he confesses that this look has been achieved with the help of a razor, rather than a natural, genetically endowed trait. After an intense round of questions ("Does it itch when the stubble grows in?"; "Do you have problems with in-grown hairs?"; "How often do you need to shave?"; "Do you find that the upkeep is too annoying to be worth it?" etc), I begin to seriously consider trying this. Finally, ignoring some very practical concerns and legitimate reservations, I decide to put an end to the monotonous style my armpits have endured, and give them a fresh, new look.

7:45pm
Armpits shaved! (Day 1) Although I trim them regularly to avoid an uncomely, bushy look, entirely purging myself of underarm hair feels quite liberating. I feel smooth and silky—in a masculine sort of way.

Below is a photo of my new look, which, I am told my my china team members, very accurately depicts the complete elation I felt at being freed from the shackles that once imprisoned my armpits. It has also been suggested, according to this picture, that: a) Alvin is jealous, and wishes to have so clean a pair of armpits; and b) Peter is embarrassed at my enthusiasm.

1 comment:

Pamguin said...

"I feel smooth and silky - in a masculine sort of way."

Enigmatic...quite so.