Saturday, September 23, 2006

Inheritance, Addendum

...which leads me to my third point. [You'll have to see the previous entry, otherwise this one might not make alot of sense. And even if it does make sense, it's probably alot harder to appreciate without the context.]

Christ died for me, and I am way, way, way infinitely in the red; not just because I am washed in his blood, but because I can't say I did a single thing to deserve the inheritance I have received. Thinking about the very generous endowment from my uncle has given me an even deeper appreciation and insight into my eternal inheritance: inheritance comes only through the death of someone who loves you very much, and the greater his life on earth, the greater the treasure with which he will leave you. Little good will come of feeling guilty over receiving such a spectacular gift; such guilt is only warrented if the gift is squandered or ill-used.

1 Peter 1:3-6 "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy He has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade—kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials."

Ephesians 1:18-21 "I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which He has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and His incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of His mighty strength, which He exerted in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come."

No comments: