Thursday, April 05, 2007

The Ego, the Superego, and the Id(ol)

This week [in real life] in his "explain your song choice" clip, Sanjaya said, "my goal this week is to make America see that I really can sing." Which leads one to wonder: what exactly was his goal the other weeks?

So, last night I had a dream that for his weekly musicaly offering, Sanjaya chose a techno song, which has obvious limited musicality to begin with. But more astonishing, he did not sing a single note! He didn't lip synch to the song; he didn't even move his mouth. Instead, he just danced around on stage.

Simon's response? "Absolutely brilliant." My deduction is that this part of the dream was probably influenced by Simon's real analysis a few days ago of Sanjaya's performance: "Let's try a different tactic this week: incredible," a comment made in hopes of fooling followers of sites such as votefortheworst.com with thinly veiled reverse psychology. I believe that in the dream, Simon meant Sanjaya was employing a "brilliant" stragegy for staying on the show by remaining mute.

Paula said, "I couldn't hear you over the background vocals." (Hello, Paula, he wasn't singing! I don't even think there were background vocals...) "That song has such a great message behind it. The lyrics are just so powerful; you really need to make them audible so people can appreciate the song." Really, Paula? A techno song with a powerful message?

Randy said he couldn't understand a word of it.

On another note, here's an update of who's been eliminated since I last updated on this topic. In the order in which they were kicked off, clockwise from the top left: Brandon Rogers [does anyone else think he looks like he could be Whoopie's son in this photo? I adjusted the X around his head so you can get a better look of young Mr. Goldberg]; Stephanie Edwards [yes, she shares names with the red-headed Ralph's spokeswoman]; Chris Sligh [I am so glad he's going finally home, because for all his arrogant boasting of smart song choice, being in the competition "to win," and using humor as a way to appeal to the audience, he never won me over. Not looking so sly now are you, Mr. Sligh? I found a photo in which he resembled the male Osbourne child, and one in which he looked strikingly similar to Mr. Potatohead with an overzealous jerry curl]; and spunky rocker Gina Glocksen.



























Though I never favored her to win, IMO Gina deserves to remain in the competition over Phil, Haley, Chris, and certainly Sanjaya. Her sometimes edgy vibe brought the appearance, if not the substance, of variety to an otherwise candy pop/soul pack. Goodbye, Gina. (-_-)

Curse you, Sanjaya Malakar! Get off the show and out of my subconscious!

No comments: