Saturday, June 09, 2007

So You Think You Can Write



[Because of entry backdating, the gap in publishing from the previous entry appears to be only a couple months. In truth it has really been close to half a year. Business to the extreme...but once I get around to November entries, I'm sure I will explain the insanity that has been my work schedule recently. In truth, this is sort of a perfunctory exercise to: a) get me to finish an earlier idea for a post; and b) get me back into the habit of writing semi-regularly. Apologies for the banality.]

Those familiar with So You Think You Can Dance know that it is a competition that involves people specializing in a particular dance form competing and experimenting in different genres. I liken my Master of Professional Writing program to the show: people with from a variety of writing backgrounds (poetry, creative non fict, short stories, novels, drama,) must dabble in the other genres before completing the program and earning their respective decrees. The good news is MPW is not built around the premise that two people get expelled from the program at the end of each week based on popular vote. The bad news is that those who arrive safely at the finish line are not promised $100,000 or contracts of any sort. (In reality, I'll just have a degree that will probably relegate me to a life of penury. Before you start sending sympathy cards my way, consider my classmates, many of whom will end up with said degree plus $80,000 of debt.)

I feel a little intimidated by the poetry part because it's different from all other writing forms (see, for example the terms, "poetry" and "prose." Almost all literature is divided between these two genre, "poetry" and "everything else.") At the same time, I'm very excited to receive formal instruction on what it means to write poetry, and am also interested in doing screenplays and sitcoms.

PS: I got accepted into an assistant lectureship! In exchange for 20 hrs/wk of teaching and preparation, I will be reimbursed for tuition for up to 12 units a semester (more than enough), plus dental and health insurance, plus a stipend of $19K per annum! YAY!. It feels really good to be really taken care of and paid to teach. I love feeling like a part of academia again—this time as teacher receiving remuneration, not as just a student. (Not that there's anything wrong with being a student; I am excited to participate in the student atmosphere and learn alongside other eager minds.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey JT, I think my previous comment got lost... send me an email. You're coming up to Berkeley on Jan 5, 2008. My info's on the gracevine.